Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Last Hanging in Scotland

Bah

So we are staying in a hostel that is located just below the Edinburgh castle. There is a market just up the road that has a lot of nice pubs and such. We noticed though that the pubs had some interesting names and there was a strange platform right outside (that we jumped around on.) A new friend Thomas later informed us that this square is famous as the place of the last public hanging in Scotland. Kinda killed our buzz.

People are dying to hang out here


After a night out the only real feasible thing is to climb a mountain to go to the castle. The castle is amazing, it towers over the city as a reminder of times past. You could really feel the history as you walked around it. We joined in on a tour to get some history lessons. As I was up there I was sure it was the best view of the city...
 
From the top of the castle

I was wrong. Earlier today we had one of the guys here, Ben, drop us off so we could climb Arthur's Seat. He said it was a 15min hike. What a friggin liar. Check it out below.



Spence relaxing on the hill
"15 minute hike"

While it was a pain to climb, it did give a breathtaking view of the city. We sat on the edge of one of the hills for a while just taking in the city. It was up there we decided to stay for at least a couple more days. Between the friendly people and the historic yet youthful city, it was an easy call.
Enjoying the first and last sunny day in Scotland
Before the hike we visited Rosslyn Chapel. It was a bit pricy to get out there and see it, but in my opinion well worth it. I could talk forever about the detail stonework and the history of the chapel, but for the sake of time I will just say it blew me away.


I guess all I can really say is that I understand Sharon's obsession with Scotland and with the way things are going I will be right there with her.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! What beautiful pictures! I must make a trip to Scotland. The countryside, the castles, even the sheep so intriguing! Aunt Sharon wasn't exaggerating! Love seeing you and Dave in the pictures. Glad you are staying longer,I think I would too. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was on the top of the same castle, nearly 10 years ago (yikes!) it was so windy and cold even my eyelashes hurt. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it so much! There was a good charity shop near that square too, way back when.

    But Rosslyn! I wish I could have been there. Love you guys and LOVE the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovin' following U & Dave on your adventures in 'Wonderland'. I feel like a stalker. ;) I absolutely love the pic of Dave napping on top of the hill. The irony of his eyes covered with such a breathtaking view beside is just too much! That photo says more than words. I can tell you guys are having the time of your lives. Never forget this time, you'll never be free like this again, savor it!!! You need to put this blog on CD after ur trip as a memory file to show your kids one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you all are enjoying the blog. We are kinda using the blog as a journal through the trip. The hill was amazing. I sat up there for so long just taking it in. Hope you continue to enjoy the blog.

    ReplyDelete